Chronic refers to something that continues over an extended period of time. A chronic condition is usually long-lasting and does not easily or quickly go away.
Chronic is the opposite of acute.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease - quick-relief drugs
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease - control drugs
- Living with a chronic illness - reaching out to others
- Managing your chronic back pain
- Living with a chronic illness - dealing with feelings
- COPD flare-ups
- Day to day with COPD
- Hemodialysis access - self care
Review Date: 1/31/2015
Reviewed By: Linda J. Vorvick, MD, Medical Director and Director of Didactic Curriculum, MEDEX Northwest Division of Physician Assistant Studies, Department of Family Medicine, UW Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Isla Ogilvie, PhD, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.