Our origins can be traced to the Fall of 1916 when a group of community leaders set aside 300 dollars, and donated lumber from the dismantled Court House, to build the first hospital in Fort Myers. That first hospital, Lee County Hospital, a two story, four room, 10 bed, wooden building was the beginning of community health care in our area.
Today, Lee Memorial Health System consists of four acute care hospitals: Lee Memorial Hospital, HealthPark Medical Center, Gulf Coast Medical Center and Cape Coral Hospital, and two speciality hospitals: Golisano Children's Hospital of Southwest Florida and The Rehabilitation Hospital. With a total of 1423 beds, and over 1 million patient contacts each year, this makes Lee Memorial Health System the largest public health system in the state of Florida, receiving no direct tax support.
Supported by more than 10,500 dedicated employees and 4,500 volunteers and auxilians, Lee Memorial Health System remains the bedrock of our community by offering acute care, emergency care, rehabilitative and diagnostic services, health and wellness education, community outreach and advocacy programs throughout the five county region. We continue to invest back into our community to improve facilities, add services and extending care to those who need it most - in their own back yard.
In the nearly 100 years since opening our first hospital, our dedication to our community - the people with whom we live and work - has been at the core of Lee Memorial Health System's mission, values and strategic planning principles.
We are Lee Memorial Health System: Caring People, Caring For People.
- Established: 1916 *
- Southwest Regional Hospital Opened: 1974 **
- Gulf Coast Hospital Opened: 1990 **
- HealthPark Medical Center Opened: 1991
- The Children's Hospital Opened: 1994
- Cape Coral Hospital Joined the System: 1996
- Number of Outpatient and Primary Care Offices: 25 + ***
- Type of Facilities: 4 Acute Care and 2 Speciality Hospitals
- Number of Total Beds: 1,423
- Cape Coral Hospital – 291 beds
- Gulf Coast Medical Center – 349 beds
- HealthPark Medical Center – 270 beds
- Lee Memorial Hospital – 355 beds
- The Rehabilitation Hospital – 60 beds
- Golisano Children’s Hospital of Southwest Florida – 98 beds
- Number of Patients Contacts Annually: 1 million +
- Number of Physicians on the Medical Staff: 1,000 +
- Number of Primary Care Physicians and Specialists: 225 +
- Number of Employees: 10,500 +
- Number of Volunteers: 4,500 +
*First opened as Lee County Hospital and later became Lee Memorial Hospital.
**Both hospitals joined our System in 2006 - combined to form Gulf Coast Medical Center.
***Lee Physician Group and Lee Convenient Care Offices.
Collectively, Lee Memorial Health System ranks nationally, in-state, and regionally in nearly every sevice line.
- Lee Memorial Health System is the largest public health system in Florida that receives no direct tax support.
- More than 1 million patient contacts each year.
- Lee Memorial Health System provided more than
$256 million in charity care in 2013 — or more than $701,000 each day.
- Governed by a publicly elected, 10-member Board of Directors.
- Has the only state approved Level II Trauma Center between Tampa and Miami.
- Golisano Children's Hospital of Southwest Florida is the only comprehensive children's hospital between Tampa and Miami.
- The Children's Hospital has the only Regional Perinatal Intensive Care Center in the area, has the best survival rates in the state. Our RPICC is only one of 11 certified in the state.
- Golisano Children’s Hospital has the only Regional Perinatal Intensive Care Center in the area, which has the best survival rates in the state. Our RPICC is only one of 11 certified in the state.
- Golisano Children’s Hospital has the only Level III neonatal intensive care unit between Tampa and Miami.
- The Transplant Center at Gulf Coast Medical Center is the only renal transplant center between Tampa and Miami.
- The waiting time for transplantation at Gulf Coast Medical Center is among the shortest in the nation.
- Lee Memorial Health System is one of the top 10 most active joint replacement centers in the United States.
- The Rehabilitation Hospital is the only licensed comprehensive inpatient rehabilitation facility in Lee County.
- The Rehabilitation Hospital has been designated as a state of Florida Brain and Spinal Cord Injury program.
- Lee Memorial Health System’s Regional Cancer Center is the only comprehensive cancer center of its kind in Southwest Florida. A partnership between Lee Memorial Health System, 21st Century Oncology and Florida Cancer Specialists, Regional Cancer Center offers the latest treatments and technologies. Regional Cancer Center also has a unique partnership with Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, which allows us to better serve our patients by providing access to advanced academic programs, clinical protocols and the expertise of renowned cancer researchers.
- Lee Memorial Health System hospitals are recognized by Healthgrades, a leading provider of health care ratings and information. Some highlights include:
- Lee Memorial Hospital and HealthPark Medical Center are ranked in the top 1% in the nation — meaning they are included in America’s 50 Best Hospitals.
- HealthPark Medical Center is ranked in the top 5% in the nation for cardiac care
- Gulf Coast Medical Center is ranked in the top 5% in the nation for stroke care
- Lee Memorial Hospital is ranked in the top 5% in the nation for joint replacement
- Cape Coral Hospital is ranked in the top 10% in the nation for overall pulmonary services
- The full list of Healthgrades awards can be found at www.LeeMemorial.org/awards/healthgrades.asp
- Lee Physician Group offices and Lee Memorial Health System now use electronic health records (EHRs). Patients also have access to their medical record through MyChart, which provides secure and direct online access to portions of the EHR, including lab results, appointment information, medications, immunizations and much more.