High Blood Pressure
What's is it?
If blood vessels narrow or your heart pumps more blood through them, blood pressure rises. High blood pressure, or hypertension, means blood pressure that is consistently above the normal range.
What are the symptoms?
For most people, there are no symptoms of high blood pressure. So it is important to have your blood pressure checked by your doctor periodically.
Some people with high blood pressure may experience headaches or fatigue.
How is it treated?
Lifestyle modifications. One of the best ways to control high blood pressure is through changing some of your habits. Lee Memorial Health System can help you to quit smoking, begin an exercise program, lose weight, reduce stress and control diabetes—all effective ways to lower blood pressure.
Medication. Lee Memorial Health System can help you to control high blood pressure through the use of one or more medications.
- ACE inhibitors prevent the formation a chemical that narrows blood vessels, helping to relax them and reduce blood pressure.
- ARBs relax your blood vessels by blocking a chemical that normally works to narrow your arteries and veins.
- Diuretics help your body to eliminate excess water, reducing blood volume and blood pressure.
- Beta blockers open your blood vessels and reduce the workload on your heart.
- Calcium channel blockers work by relaxing the muscles that are in your blood vessels.
What is Lee Memorial Health System's approach?
Lee Memorial Health System is involved in clinical studies to bring the most advanced treatments to our patients. As the largest medical system in Southwest Florida, we are committed to bringing you the best treatments that are not available at most community hospitals.
Treatment & Care
Lee Memorial Health System offers many surgical and medical procedures
for heart and vascular conditions.