Health System Overview
Our origins can be traced to the Fall of 1916 when a group of community leaders set aside 300 dollars, and donated lumber from the dismantled Court House, to build the first hospital in Fort Myers. That first hospital, Lee County Hospital, a two story, four room, 10 bed, wooden building was the beginning of community health care in our area.
Today, Lee Memorial Health System consists of four acute care hospitals: Lee Memorial Hospital, HealthPark Medical Center, Gulf Coast Medical Center and Cape Coral Hospital, and two speciality hospitals: Golisano Children's Hospital of Southwest Florida and The Rehabilitation Hospital. With a total of 1423 beds, and over 1 million patient contacts each year, this makes Lee Memorial Health System the largest public health system in the state of Florida, receiving no direct tax support.
Supported by over 9,600 dedicated employees and 4,500 volunteers and auxilians, Lee Memorial Health System remains the bedrock of our community by offering acute care, emergency care, rehabilitative and diagnostic services, health and wellness education, community outreach and advocacy programs throughout the five county region. We continue to invest back into our community to improve facilities, add services and extending care to those who need it most - in their own back yard.
In the nearly 95 years since opening our first hospital, our dedication to our community - the people with whom we live and work - has been at the core of Lee Memorial Health System's mission, values and strategic planning principles. Lee Memorial Health System - We are Lee Memorial Health System: Caring People, Caring For People.
- Established: 1916 *
- Southwest Regional Hospital Opened: 1974 **
- Gulf Coast Hospital Opened: 1990 **
- HealthPark Medical Center Opened: 1991
- The Children's Hospital Opened: 1994
- Cape Coral Hospital Joined the System: 1996
- Number of Primary Care Office Locations: 25+ ***
- Type of Facilities: 4 Acute Care and 2 Speciality Hospitals
- Number of Total Beds: 1,423
- Number of Pediatric Beds: 101 ****
- Number of Patients Contacts Annually: 1 million +
- Number of Physicians: 1,100 +
- Number of Physician Specialists: 115
- Number of Primary Care Physicians: 75
- Number of Employees: 9,600+
- Number of Volunteers: 4,500+
* First opened as Lee County Hospital and later became Lee Memorial Hospital.
** Both hospitals joined our System in 2006 - combined to form Gulf Coast Medical Center.
*** Lee Physician Group and Lee Convenient Care Offices.
**** All pediatric beds are located at Golisano Children's Hospital of Southwest Florida.
Collectively, Lee Memorial Health System ranks nationally, in-state, and regionally in nearly every sevice line.
- Lee Memorial Health System is the largest public health system in Florida that receives no direct tax support.
- More than 1 million patient contacts each year.
- Governed by a publicly elected, 10-member Board of Directors.
- Has the only state approved Level II Trauma Center between Tampa and Miami.
- Golisano Children's Hospital of Southwest Florida is the only comprehensive children's hospital between Tampa and Miami.
- The Children's Hospital has the only Regional Perinatal Intensive Care Center in the area, has the best survival rates in the state. Our RPICC is only one of 11 certified in the state.
- The Children's Hospital has the only Level III NICU between Tampa and Miami.
- Lee Memorial Health System is ranked No. 1 in the nation for the minimally invasive cardiac surgery program.
- The Transplant Center at Gulf Coast Medical Center is the only renal transplant center between Tampa and Miami.
- The waiting time for transplantation at Gulf Coast Medical Center is among the shortest in the nation.
- Lee Memorial Health System is one of the top 10 most active joint replacement centers in the United States.
- Lee Memorial Health System is one of only two health care institutions in the country to participate in the ONYX™ Clinical Trials (ONYX is a putty-like substance used to treat aneurysms).
- The Rehabilitation Hospital is the only licensed comprehensive inpatient rehabilitation facility in Lee County, and has been designated as a State of Florida Brain and Spinal Cord Injury program.
- Lee Memorial Health System's Regional Cancer Center houses the only oncology practice with the Calypso Medical's GPS for the Body ® in Southwest Florida. The Calypso system provides guidance to clinicians on the position and movement of the prostate during radiation therapy.
- The Regional Cancer Center also houses a Trilogy™ radiation therapy machine, the only conventional linear accelerator in Charlotte, Collier and Lee counties.
- The Lee Memorial Health System cardiac program is one of only a handful in the nation offering regular robot-assisted cardiac bypass surgeries with the da Vinci ® S HD™ Surgical Robot. The da Vinci can perform major procedures – such as cardiac bypass surgery, mitral valve repairs, lung tumor removals, prostate removals, partial kidney removals and urinary system blockage removals – through small laparoscopic incisions. Dr. Benitez performed the first robot-assisted prostatectomy in Lee County on March 8.
- Lee Memorial Health System was selected as a host site for human clinical trials for a new type of cancer treatment developed by the late John Kanzius, a Sanibel Island resident and inventor.
- Lee Memorial Home Health is accredited by and represented on the National Board of Review for Community Health Accreditation Program.
- AARP ranked Lee Memorial Health System as fifth in the nation on its list of 2008 Top Employers for Workers over 50 and second in the nation on its list of 2009 Top Healthcare Employers for Workers over 50.
- Free Parking
- Wi-Fi Internet Access
- Phone and TV Service*
- Mail and Flower Delivery to Room
- Web Well Wishes
- Cafeteria and Vending Machines
- Gift Shops and Thrift Stores
- Language Assistance
- Guest Services
- Medical Libraries**
- Chapels and Spirtitual Services***
- Smoke-free Environment****
* Outgoing local calls may be made from your bedside phone at any time, without charge to you. Long distance and international calling are subject to charges.
** Available at Lee Memorial Hospital, HealthPark Medical Center, Cape Coral Hospital
*** Available at Lee Memorial Hospital, HealthPark Medical Center, Cape Coral Hospital, Gulf Coast Medical Center
**** Smoking is not allowed within any Lee Memorial Health System facility. However, smoking is permitted in designated outdoor locations indicated on each hospital map.
This site is maintained by Lee Memorial Health System