About This Specialty
A medical specialty that focuses on evaluating, diagnosing and treating children with blood disease and cancer, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology offers a full spectrum of clinical services.
Hematology is the study of blood diseases, while oncology concentrates on cancer. The two are frequently intertwined because hematological disorders may overlap with oncology—examples include leukemia, lymphoma and sickle cell disease.
Oncologists use a variety of tools to diagnose cancer, including:
- Blood tests
- Computed tomography (CT scans)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
Some of the conditions we treat include:
- Bone cancer
- Sickle cell disease
- Soft tissue sarcoma
- White blood cell disorders
Our Care Team
- Emad Salman, M.D.
- Cameron Nicholson, M.D.
- Craig MacArthur, M.D.
- Kelly Sawczyn, M.D.
- Pam Wojciki, MS, ARNP, RN-CS, GPN, CPHON
- Jennifer Vega, ARNP
Before Your Appointment Use This Checklist
- Write down any questions that you may have.
- Put your questions in order of importance so that you are sure to cover the most important question first.
- Bring a list of other health care professionals that have taken care of you since your last visit—include any specialists, hospitalizations or ER visits.
- Write down the medications that you are taking, or bring all the bottles with you to the appointment, including over-the-counter and herbal remedies.